Software Development Manager, Senior Project Manager
With 20+ years of experience in the IT industry, including 10+ years as project/development manager, I have delivered successful projects using traditional end-to-end Waterfall SDLC, PRINCE2, Agile Scrum, Scaled Agile (SAFe) and DevOps. I worked on wide variety of projects from corporate solutions, assets & infrastructure management, billing system, web/digital, CMS and CRM, delivering value to clients, partners and internal users.
I have strong communication skill with both technical and business stakeholders. I like to humanise my work by seeing things from users’ perspective instead of just screens and codes. I take great pride in connecting with clients and users, making sure that I am solving the right problems that matter for them.
My management style is focused on developing a culture of responsible development. It empowers team members to care about their work on and do best efforts to improve it based on responsibility and common sense. I put high attention to detail, product quality and two layers of testing (alpha and beta testing).
I am a Certified SAFe Agilist, Certified SAFe Scrum Master, Certified PRINCE2 Practitioner, Certified Scrum Master from Scrum Alliance, knowledgeable on Lean management, have Master degree in Software Systems Engineering from The University of Melbourne and a PhD in software testing from Swinburne University of Technology.
Most Recent Work:
Terra Firma Business Consulting, Business Consultant (2018 to current)
Terra Firma is one of Australia’s leading business and technology consulting companies providing clients with consulting services covering the entire life cycle of a program – from strategy to the full spectrum of project services.
Telstra, Senior IT Project Manager (2018 to current)
Telstra is Australia’s leading telecommunications and technology company, offering full range of communication services and competing in all telecommunications markets.
nbn Definitive Agreement MTM program works with Telstra’s nbn Business Solutions Delivery and nbn Co to ensure joint asset transfer and service continuity obligations are delivered. This program is the enabler for the rollout of nbn technologies that utilise Telstra assets (FTTN/HFC/FTTC). With over 25 shared interactions, the team is ensuring that appropriate solutions are defined and delivered to meet nbn objectives, and in the process contributing to the acceleration of nbn rollout across Australia.
My key responsibilities:
• Manage projects to deliver the IT solutions required to meet Business requirements.
• Manage integrated delivery across different applications and upstream & downstream impacts.
• Liaise with internal and external stakeholders (Telstra, nbn Co).
• Manages internal Telstra resources and vendors.
• Create and manage project plan, schedule, financial budgeting and forecasting.
• Manage, track and mitigate RAID (Risk, Assumption, Issue, Dependency) items and Change Requests.
• Coach project team in the transition from Waterfall TDP into Agile (SAFe) & DevOps.
• Revamp testing strategy into more efficient practices.
• Facilitate requirements gathering, process improvement and problem solving workshops.
Incsub, Digital Project Manager & Development Manager (2015 to 2017)
Incsub is the parent company behind WPMU DEV (the largest premium WordPress site on the web) and Edublogs (the second largest education WordPress site in the world).
• In this role, I managed multiple projects with distributed team of designers, software testers, front-end and back-end developers using Agile development methodology (Scrum).
• Introduced Agile to the company and took the role as Agile coach, facilitating Agile transformation within the organisation.
• Implemented process improvement using LEAN principles.
HDI, Technology Consultant (2011 to 2015)
HDI is a group of companies located in Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines, Hong Kong, Macau and USA. HDI is mainly a retail company with other businesses in advertising, properties, resources, securities, technology and finance.
• This long distance role was a continuation from my previous role as MIS Manager. I live in Melbourne, using technology to work with colleagues in Indonesia, Singapore and Philippines.
• As a consultant, I was involved in development projects and corporate decision makings on issues related to technology.
HDI, MIS Manager (Management Information System) (2004 to 2011)
• This role included department management, project management, business analyst and technical development. I managed cross-functions IT professionals, software and hardware (5 software developers, 2 hardware & network specialists, 2 help desk officers and 5 data entry staffs).
• Developed IT strategy in coordination with the company’s business strategy; managing department’s resources, budgeting and operations; built relationships with vendors, suppliers and external stakeholders; involved in recruitment; conducted staff performance review.
• Managed successful development projects (ERP, Decision Support System, Human Resources, CMS, CRM, Online Sales Monitoring, Digital Design & Analytics) serving the company businesses, more than 100 business outlets in different countries and more than 80,000 independent distributors.
• While studying Master at The University of Melbourne in 2005, I remained in charge and managed this department through email communications and weekly video conference.
Caveo Biometric Security, Information Technology Manager (2002 to 2004)
Caveo Biometric Security is an IT security solutions company using biometric technology as the main base of its products
• This was a client-facing project management role, mixed with internal department management to maintain BAU.
• Managed successful projects (Human Resources, Time and Attendance, Access Control) with system integration to biometric technologies, ranging from fingerprint sensor, palm recognition, retina scan.
Hanoman Cendekia Interaktif, IT Project Manager (2001 to 2002)
Hanoman Cendekia Interaktif is a web-based software development company using Java technologies.
• This was a client-facing pure project management role.
Hanoman Cendekia Interaktif, Senior Web Developer (2001)
Binus University, University Lecturer (2007 to 2010)
Binus University is One of the best private universities in Indonesia, specialised in computer and technology.
I taught programming and algorithm subjects, Saturday classes only. This was not an income-oriented job; I took this job for the purpose of sharing knowledge.
Binus Training and Recruitment Centre, Sofware Developer Instructor (1999 to 2001)
I taught a number of courses: Computer Introduction, Basic Algorithm, Visual Basic, C, C++, Pascal, Power Builder, HTML, VBscript, PHP, ASP.
I’m a self-driven and goal oriented person. I believe a work environment needs to be communicative and highly effective. Technology, when used correctly, can play an important role in creating good communication and effective coordination. In the end, technology is created to help humans to work better and easier, not the other way around.
Technology is made for humans, not the other way around. A lot of problems with technology are caused by communication issues. Throughout my career, I have proven myself to be a good communicator between technical and non-technical people, allowing effective collaboration between company departments and supporting the core business of a company through technology.